The Grim Milestone of Blogs "I find the language and rhetoric coming from America too confrontational" - Prince Charles "Nuts" - Gen McAuliffe America: Saving idiots from themselves since WWI

Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Real Lesson of "Florida" 2000: Never Learned

If such reasoning was used four years ago, there could have been dramatic recounts in states other than Florida.

In 2000, the gap between the winner and the loser in five states was less than one-half of 1 percent of the votes cast. Florida was determined by 537 votes.

But New Mexico's result was even closer – just 366 votes. Iowa was decided by 4,144, Wisconsin by 5,708 and Oregon by 6,765.


I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed Florida was the state which had the legal problems because we have the most electoral votes, right?

When I was young, my father told me about the orderly transfer of executive and legislative power in the United States. He suggested that this was a great achievement, rarely recorded in human history.

Everything old is new again.

No comments: